SMIF currently administers 29 community foundations, a type of Affiliate Fund. The community foundations under SMIF’s guidance have granted out over $5.3 million and have netted over $4.2 million in assets to benefit the future of their communities. What have they funded? Everything from technology grants to historic preservation!
Harmony Area Community Foundation (HACF) has granted out over $100,000 for community improvements projects over the past six years, ranging from a free community sound system for events, to historical signage around town. SMIF has contributed $46,000 to their endowment.
With a $2,000 grant from HACF and a $2,000 matching grant from SMIF, four high schoolers from Harmony got first-hand experience in engineering, legal, marketing and retail sales positions in town. The goal of the student internship program is to raise student awareness about entrepreneurship and employment opportunities in the Harmony area, with the hope that kids will move back after college. Read the full story.
Southern Minnesota Initiative Foundation supports community foundations in southern Minnesota by:
- Serving as the legal entity 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation and fiscal agent
- Providing oversight and management of fund development and investment policy
- Providing start-up and staff support and expertise to establish and grow funds, as well as assist in marketing and communications efforts
- Providing oversight of grant making activities that are determined by local fund
- Complying with all relevant state and federal charitable giving rules and regulations
- Managing documentation and filing, certified audits, and liability protection
- Providing ethical and fiduciary responsibility in managing charitable contributions
Read about how the Preston Area Community Foundation is moving the needle on rural philanthropy in their community.
SMIF's Community Foundation Partners
The following communities have local funds that are administered with assistance from Southern Minnesota Initiative Foundation. Your generous donation to a local community foundation will support grassroots efforts to make an impact on the lives of those living in our region. Gifts to a community foundation's endowment fund perpetually provide funding for the foundation now and into the future.
For more information on contributing to one of these funds, or establishing a new community foundation, contact Alissa Oeltjenbruns at 507.455.3215 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Click to learn more about the Community Foundations listed below.
Byron Community Foundation
Eagle Lake Community Development Foundation
Ellendale Community Foundation
Elysian Community Foundation
Goodhue Area Community Fund
Harmony Area Community Foundation
Henderson Community Foundation
Montgomery Community Foundation
New Prague Area Community Foundation
Sleepy Eye Community Foundation
St. Charles Area Community Foundation
Saint James Area Foundation
Spring Valley Area Community Foundation
Wabasha-Kellogg Area Community Foundation
Wanamingo Community Fund
Winthrop Area Foundation
Zumbro Valley Foundation